Data Engineer Senior
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented Data Engineer Senior for
our San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX or Phoenix, AZ facility. This person
may also work remotely in a 100% Remote Work Environment. USAA
values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found
that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both
worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working from
home when needed to achieve focused results. The actual days'
onsite are resolved between each employee and the employee's
manager. The candidate selected for this position will be
responsible for developing and maintaining data processing
pipelines and work with multi technology tools. This individual
will work closely with USAA P&C Products, several application
development, testing and info governance teams. The candidate
should be willing to learn new technologies and upskill as
required. He/she will be primarily responsible for analyzing
different data streams, engineer data exports and imports, build
ETL ELT streams, support various data modernization needs including
end to end support for all data migrations and enhancements.Data
Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data management
lifecycle. This includes gathering and analyzing requirements,
collecting, processing, storing, securing, and archiving data.
Develop and maintain technical systems for data reporting and
technical solutions utilizing emerging technologies. Partner with
the business to ensure data management solutions aligned to
business objectivesJob RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows what it
means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of
U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission
requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.About
USAA ITOur most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's
human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand
behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.We're proud
of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more passionate about
our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and
collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing
more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative
problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting
challenges that inspire you to continue learning and
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Leads and/or engineers the full cycle of data solutions from
analysis, solution design, data pipeline engineering, testing,
deployment, scheduling, and production support.
- Designs and implements highly-complex technical solutions for
data engineering and analytic systems using new methodologies and
- Designs, builds, manages and optimizes data pipelines for data
structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas,
metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Leads design reviews for the team and provides recommendations
using innovative architectural concepts and principals.
- Breakdowns business features into technical stories and
approaches. Presents to leadership and influences on technical
- Creates proof of concepts and prototypes on highly complex
solutions and presents to leadership to deliver on vision for
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to
lead technical solutions.
- Implements efficient defect management, root cause analysis,
and resolution processes.
- Helps develop, maintain, and enforce the company's data
development tools and standards. Conduct code reviews on a regular
basis to improve quality and ensure compliance
- Creates the development of data pipelines, extracting data from
our various applications (internal & external sources) into the
- Assists in setting technical direction for the team and serves
a mentor to team members.Minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in
addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be
substituted in lieu of degree.
- 6 years of data engineering, data analysis or software
development experience implementing data solutions with at least 2
years of data engineering or data management experience.
- Proven experience with end to end delivering of data solutions
that includes building, managing, and optimizing data pipelines
across cloud environments; curating and modeling the data for
various types of consumers/products and their pattern of usage to
include data marts, data lake, and operational analytic
- Experience completing multiple projects leveraging the agile
methodology in delivering data.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in SQL and Relational
Databases.When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5
minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your
- 6+ years' experience developing, deploying, and supporting
high-quality, fault-tolerant data pipelines (leveraging
distributed, data movement technologies and approaches, including
but not limited to ETL and streaming ingestion and processing) for
building modern data warehouses.
- 3 or more years' experience utilizing Linux scripting (Python,
- 5 or more years' experience in SQL development and/or NoSQL
- 2 or more years' experience with cloud-based data offerings
(Amazon AWS, Redshift, Snowflake, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage, Data Build
- Design, build, and deploy new data pipelines within
Informatica, DBT, Snowflake, Guidewire environments.
- 3 or more years of experience working with Agile Development
MethodologiesThe above description reflects the details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should
not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be performed in the job.Compensation:USAA has
an effective method for assessing market data and establishing
ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the
salary range based on your experience and market position. The
salary range for this skill is: $106,800 - $192,300* Employees may
be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and
individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Directors. Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential
is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in
locations where market pay levels are above the national
average.Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
hours. Benefits:At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits
to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These
benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans,
401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption
assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid
volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our
career path planning and continuing education assists employees
with their professional goals. Please click on the link below for
more details.USAA Total RewardsRelocation assistance is Not
Available for this position.
Keywords: USAA, Mesquite , Data Engineer Senior, Engineering , Mesquite, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!