Paid Veterinary Technician Extern
Company: Banfield Pet Hospital
Posted on: June 24, 2022
BANFIELD EXTERNSHIPSUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Extern is to 'shadow' the
coach veterinary technician or veterinarian in order to observe and
take part in clinical procedures and to gain various firsthand
veterinary experience and knowledge.Description - ExternalESSENTIAL
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within
self and team.
- Meet with coach to identify program expectations and create
- Learn all aspects of hospital organization and function by
observing and participating in procedures with the coach veterinary
technician or doctor.
- Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing
safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and
maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam
rooms and labs.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all
times. This includes performing procedures that do not require
veterinarian or veterinary technician assistance (depending on
skill level), performing surgical assisting procedures in the
presence of coach, completing preparatory work for other
procedures, ensuring that clients and pets are comfortable in the
hospital, monitoring hospitalized or surgical pets.
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian to
ensure the best quality pet care.
- Mentor and be mentored through the objectives of the Externship
- Other job duties as assigned.THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and
value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility
from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared
benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do
only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit
to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
- Integrity & Trust
- Peer Relationships
- Priority Setting
- Communication Skills
- Personal Learning
- ComposureCAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English,
using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells
commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates
exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in
handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides
the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains
and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook,
- Leadership skills - Ability to lead and manage projects with a
sense of urgency to get results. Ability to successfully supervise,
coach and mentor others. Displays positive attitude toward all
practice protocols, procedures, and systems.ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative - Shows willingness and aptitude to use own
discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to
problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes
or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and
small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations.SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity
with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a
keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.EXPERIENCE,
EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited Veterinary Technician
program.WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination
Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual
Orientation or National Origin.
Keywords: Banfield Pet Hospital, Mesquite , Paid Veterinary Technician Extern, Professions , Mesquite, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!